rallyroots.com results@rallyroots.com

rally results service

Unless otherwise clearly indicated, results on this site have been declared final and are therefore not subject to query or protest

Night Owl Rally

Sponsored by E&M Motor Factors

Aberystwyth & District Motor Club

24th/25th April 2010

Clerk of the Course: Wayne Edwards

Route: 120 Miles

Maps: 135

Starters: 90

Winners: Clive Williams/Dale Furniss (Citroen Xsara)

The last minute pairing of Clive Williams/Dale Furniss dominated throughout the event, taking the win by almost a minute. The crew had only got together a couple of days before the rally when both found themselves without a partner for the rally.

The Night Owl stayed close to the club’s Aberystwyth base, with both Petrol and the Finish at Capel Bangor. The first half looped to the north while the second half used roads to the south of the A44.

The winners led after the opening regularity section and then only dropped time at one more control all night. Their Xsara survived clutch problems in the second half to make the finish.

Bro Teifi winners John Davies/Eurig Davies took second. They were competing in a borrowed Astra after the engine in their regular car destroyed itself at a recent stage event at Talbenny.

Richard Jerman/Iwan Jones were the fastest crew over the second half but a lengthy wrong slot on the opening section of the night meant they finished in fifth.

Daniel Jones/Graham Dance would have taken the runner up spot but a ten minute wrong slot near Trawscoed saw them drop to 18th place. The same mistake also cost Arwel Hughes-Jones/Dylan John Williams and Steven John Williams/Lowri Davies time.

Last year’s winners Dafydd Evans/Carl Jones lost second place due to a fail for a missed code board.

Similarly Richard Williams/Katie Martin would have taken the Semi-Expert class win but booking in four seconds too early at one control cost them a fail. This allowed Gwyn Jones/Rob Leeman to take a very popular class win.

Cerith Tomos-Jones/Simon Bevan were the fastest Novice crew throughout the night and were the only Class 3 contenders to get through the first white after a preceding car broke a shaft and blocked the route.