rallyroots.com results@rallyroots.com

rally results service

Unless otherwise clearly indicated, results on this site have been declared final and are therefore not subject to query or protest

Mid Wales Stages

Sponsored by Rally Marketing

Newtown & District Automobile Club

6th March 2011

Clerk of the Course: Chris Tomley

Stages (Historic): 5 Stages (54 Stage Miles)

Stages (Clubman): 4 Stages (42 Stage Miles)

Location: Hafren, Sweet Lamb, Tarenig & Myherin

Starters: Clubman: 49, Historic: 70


Category 1 Results

Category 2 Results

Category 3 Results


After finishing sixth on the Malcolm Wilson Stages the day before, Tom Cave/Craig Parry went to Mid Wales for some tyre testing and came away with a victory.

Cave was using the event to try out the BRC tyres on stages similar to those that will be used on next month’s Bulldog. The Aberdyfi driver took fastest time on all four of the rally’s stages and finished 40 seconds ahead of the opposition.

Last year’s winners Matt Edwards/Sam Collis dropped a place to the runner up sport on their first event in an Impreza since their 2010 triumph. Damian Cole/Ben Innes took third on a rally where the fastest three times on each stage were taken by the same three crews in the same order throughout.

Barry ‘Bach’ Jones/Chris Williams finished in fourth, showing that they were beginning to get to drips with their 4WD mount.

‘Mad’ Mick Jones/Dale Furniss put their Escort in amongst the 4WD brigade, finishing in fifth and securing the Martyn Lewis Trophy.

Dylan Davies had taken that award in 2010 but now drives an Impreza. His event came to an expensive end when the cam belt snapped on SS3. Also on the retirement list were Terry Brown/Tomas Whittle, their Escort losing two gears on the run out to the first stage. John ‘Bont’ Roberts/Mark Lewis went out when a rod came through the block of the Escort’s engine on SS3. Bob Morgan/Adrian Williams and Tony MacWhirter/Steve Green also went out with engine problems.

Geraint Mills/Jonny ‘Tad’ Evans were pushing for a top ten finish in their Manta when they picked up a puncture on the final stage. They had problems jacking up the car but still managed to take second in class behind ‘Mad’ Mick.

Gareth Edwards/Stuart Darke ground to a halt on the first stage when the horn on their Chevette exploded and melted some of the electrics. Shortly afterwards Andy Burnell stopped at the same spot with a broken gearbox on his Skoda. Burnell then rebuilt Edwards’ wiring and the Chevette was once again mobile. Unfortunately they were also OTL.